You did it! You took the plunge and finally scheduled the boudoir shoot you've been dreaming of. Now what? PANIC! sheer PANIC! because you have so many questions , you want to feel and look prepared so you can slay your boudoir session!
Fear not, This guide is for you!
Hello Gorgeous, I am so excited you've chosen me as your boudoir photographer! Now that you've gone through step one of this process here are some amazing, life saving tips to prepare for your upcoming boudoir session with us. I cannot wait to work with you!
First- Start getting pumped about your shoot! I suggest you check out the Simply You Boudoir Gallery Page for endless inspiration. You can see how other women have embraced their beauty, sexuality, and femininity in front of my lens. We also have a put together some gorgeous boudoir looks on our Pinterest Page. Create your own Pinterest board and start pinning your ideas, feel free to share with me so that I can get a feel for the vibe you're wanting to achieve.
Here are some other tips on finding inspiration for looks for your session:
- Visualize the clothing, accessories, heels and props you will want to wear. flip through your favorite fashion mags to discover ways to pair colors and fabrics. Let your imagination roam!
- Shop your closet first! You may actually discover you have some hidden gems in there perfect for this occasion that make you feel beautiful. sometimes a tight white T-shirt, oversized sweater or crop top can be ever sexier!
- Grab a style savvy friend,fun loving friend and brainstorm some ideas together for your upcoming shoot.
- Join our Facebook VIP Group ! This group includes ladies that have experienced a simply you boudoir shoot or have an upcoming session! Ask questions and interact with other empowered boudie babes!
When it comes to choosing what to wear ( or not to wear ) for your session, the most important rule is Do Not bring pieces that you do not love! I cant tell you how many women have came through our doors with outfits the prompt them to say ' I really don't like this one, but I'll leave it up to you.' Ladies, if you don't like the outfit , its likely you wont like photos of you in the outfit. Leave it at home and focus on pieces you absolutely adore yourself in! The most important thing is that you are selecting the pieces that flatter your body and highlight your best assets ;)
I recommend bringing more than 3 separate styles, so that you have a variety of images to choose from and you also step out of your comfort zone a little more... I know I know , you're already getting half naked in front of a technical stranger is already asking a lot. But trust me you will thank me when you have more than one type of look to choose from!
- Feminine & Light: If you're getting married, think of this as your 'bridal look'. Think whites, creams, pastels, etc.
- Moody & Dark: Black, Black, Black! Something dark and sexy is a must-have. If you're not a fan of black , try a jewel tone that flatters your skin color.
- Personal & Playful: choose an item that has personal connection to you and/or partner. Think, favorite sports team or movie series, one of your partners shirts or even your fave pair of booty shorts ( you know we all have a pair! )
Lingerie is not a must! Especially full lingerie sets, like corsets. Fish net tights with a crop top, a gorgeous bra and panty set, your favorite comfy tank top with no pants. Don't be afraid to get creative! If opting for lingerie, I recommend getting properly fitted at a local lingerie shop or if you're interested in online shopping True & Co. has a really helpful website and quiz the will help determine what styles and sizes will work best for you. Click here to take the quiz! Ill fitting outfits can ruin a boudoir shoot. Please please please select pieces that properly fit your body shape.
Here are some shops I recommend
- Forever 21 (affordable and stylish pieces for every body shape)
- Victorias Secret
- Amazon ( Great affordable pieces )
The do's and do not's of wardrobe :
Tiny busy patterns as well as neon colors are often to harsh on camera.
Avoid Anything too loose in the lingerie department. If you're going with an oversized sweater with nothing under neath or your partners fave sports jersey then yes, it should be baggy. but a flowy nightie will most likely be pinned back to show off your curves anyhow! For this reason I recommend avoiding babydoll lingerie.
Bring several outfits and accessories to choose from , we can go through them together before your shoot to determine which will photograph best.
Make sure your pieces are not wrinkled and cut all the tags off!
No costumes , props, military flags etc. They tend to be more 'themey' and as you have picked up by now thats just not my preferred style that I specialize in. Unless previously discussed , leave those items at home.
Flattering all figures with wardrobe
All women are beautiful, in their own unique way, I fully believe this. Whether curves, or no curves, butt or no butt, etc. I get a lot of questions about what type of wardrobe flatters who, So here are some tips based on the most common 'complaints' I get by women and how to enhance those features with wardrobe.
- Curvy : Avoid loose fitting clothing which mask curves. items should be snug but not to tight. Also BODYSUITS! BODYSUITS! BODYSUITS! I can not say this enough, they look amazing on everyone!
- Flat Booty: Opt for panties that are cheeky cut or ruffled on the backside, those tend to add a lot of dimension, Thongs always make a butt look fuller than a full coverage panty. Play around in the mirror with different panty cuts. But don't worry, I am a pro at creating curves in posing!
- Shorter Legs: High heels with a thin heel rather than chunky. Nude shoes naturally elongate the legs. for the love of christ no thigh highs! Us short boudies need as much help in the length department and thigh high will ruin and chance of that.
- Thin/No Curves: Again I am a pro at creating curves in posing and lighting. BODY SUITS BODY SUITS!! love them for all figures.
- Small Chest: Opt for push up bras with support , chicken cutlets, and lingerie with structure. Just make sure your bras a fitted properly with any inserts you have in mind.
- Large Chest: If you have large breasts or eh hem ... 'mom boobs' ( I can say that because I'm rocking them myself ) Support, Support , SUPPORT! An underwire + push up is a great idea.
Now that you have your wardrobe tips, don't forget to grab a few accessories. If you're getting married, bring your veil or bridal jewelry. I love statement jewelry , they add so much to a simple bra and panty outfit. Also - Do not forget heels ( nude and / or black ) Even if you aren't a heel girl, bring them! You will be suprised on how much they change a pose.
- If you wax , do so now to avoid any bumps or redness.
- Make sure your eyebrows are nicely shaped and groomed. ( I also am an eyebrow specialist during the day ;) just shoot me an email or text and we can set something up )
- Be sure to get a manicure and pedicure for a flawless finish.
- Stay out of the sun-while a base tan will be nice in photos. Red blotchy skin will not.
- PLEASE DO NOT SPRAY TAN! under any circumstance.
- Moisturize! Inside & out. make sure you drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated for luminous skin.
- Lower your salt intake and avoid alcohol if you're worried about retaining water.
- Try on all outfits, remove all tags, steam or iron if necessary.
- Bathe, Shave, and Moisturize.
- Double check everything is properly packed and ready for the shoot: heels, accessories, wardrobe, etc.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the studio without stressing.
- Enjoy a relaxed , quiet evening.
- Plan for a good nights sleep.
- Use clear deodorant please.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to your session to avoid red marks on your skin.
- Eat something light but filling before you leave.
- Arrive with a clean and moisturized face.
- You know your hair best, if it styles better with dirty hair wear it dirty and vice versa.
- Have your final Simply You Boudoir session payment ready ( Cash, Card, or checks )
- Most important! Take a deep breath and RELAX. Its completely normal to be a little nervous before your shoot, but please do not worry because you will be in great hands. I will show you exactly how to pose and work wth you to get the perfect shot.
xoxo Tonya Nikole